Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transition cats into a new home
01-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Transition cats into a new home
Hi all!

We just bought a new house. A big change for us out of our 700 ft condo, it’s 2400 sq ft.

My question is has anybody moved their cats to a new house? Any tips?

I’m thinking to sequester them in the larger bathroom for at least two days, with food, water, litter box, familiar toys, & their cat beds. Then let them roam free supervised & see how that goes? It has two levels and stairs and my cats have never been exposed to that. Will they be ok on the stairs?

& How do you get them used to where their new litter box and food is? I am anxious that they might be fearful. Or sad. Want to try to make it as comfortable and stress free as possible for them.

Thank you so much for any tips and knowledgeable ideas! Xoxo
User Tools
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2019, 09:44 PM
RE: Transition cats into a new home
With noses thousands of times more sensitive than yours, you couldn’t hide their litter box or food from them if you tried. Stairs aren’t going to present any challenge to them either. The real challenge is for you to be aware of where they are when you are on the stairs - they will shoot past you and if you can’t see your feet (carrying laundry), you could step on one and everybody will get hurt.
We do keep a litter box and water upstairs and downstairs, they don’t need that, but I figure it’s more convenient for them. Plus they sound like a herd of horses running up and down the stairs.
I don’t think locking them away in their new environment is a good idea. They need to be close to their humans and separation will only add to the stress. They may be a little timid, but will still quickly explore and establish their new territory.

Bella - Seal bi-color molly - DOB: 11/10/16
Sammy - Blue color point gib - DOB: 11/14/16
Same sire, different dams
Breeder: JJsRagdolls, Beckley, WV
User Tools
01-17-2019, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 12:53 AM by HelenMac.)
We moved with our boys. I had bought extra large carriers for the trip down as my boys prefer to stretch out. Day of moving breeder told us not to feed but keep water available.. As soon as removal truck arrived they were put in their big carriers up on top of the kitchen counter so they could watch what was going on and I knew they were safe. Once everyone left we let them out for a little while to have a play with da bird and toilet then crated them up again and loaded in the car for the 2.5 hour journey. When we got down to our new home we put them in the bathroom opened the crates and put food and water down and their litter trays. I put a note on the door saying no-one was allowed in cats in there. They were locked in there until truck was unloaded and everyone left. Then we went round made sure all windows and doors were shut and let them out. We then proceeded to make the master bed with their help as usual somethings never change. They then followed me into the lounge and were happy to find their cat towers in the lounge and proceeded to check them out then check the lounge suite out and sniff the piles of boxes. I set their food tray up in its rightful place in the kitchen and water fountain. They checked it out had a munch then hopped up onto their towers and went to sleep. We then put their cat beds around the place and their toys and they were happy. We never locked them away as they always want to be with us. This picture is of them day we arrived in our new home.
[Image: 46059507564_9b4b22cb62.jpg]

[Image: 45324860545_efeba67d4d_n.jpg]
Helen. Hamilton, New Zealand
User Tools
01-18-2019, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 04:52 AM by JanH.)
I would use an occupied bedroom as the safe room.

You are right to supervise at first, mostly so that you will learn of any areas that may not be as safe as possible or places where there is too easy access to the outside.

Remember that all of their things (including all of your belongings) will be there and will smell the same. They will likely not have any stress from the new aspects. It will just be new territory to explore and memorize.

Congratulations on the new digs.

Best,
JanH
User Tools
01-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Thank you so much everybody for your valuable information! I’m going to follow your tips!

I’m loving your idea to put them in their carriers to watch the action, safely. I’m worried about them learning to go up & down the stairs but hopefully they will catch on before long because they’ve never even seen stairs.

So I should setup litter boxes both up and downstairs? I’m not sure where to put them to tell you the truth. Here in our condo they have two litter boxes in the dining room. So I’m thinking to put one in the dining room and one in the basement spare room? So there’s always one handy?

And thanks for the reminder to ensure windows & doors are always securely closed. There’s a really cool build in window sill up front in the living room where they can lounge in the sun and hoping they enjoy that new feature!
User Tools
01-18-2019, 07:58 PM
I think I am more worried about your finding a bathroom in that big house than I am about the kitties finding a litter box. Congratulations and much happiness in your new home.

"CAT HAIR...Both a condiment and a fashion accessory."
[Image: 3cats-vi.gif]
The FurBrats Three
User Tools
01-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Thank you! I’m pregnant with our 2nd too so we will need the space before long.

I love how Zimba uses the wall to leverage his foot against! Hahaha! So sweet. It’s amazing they settled in so fast & happy. Looks like they’ve always been there, tho it was their first day in their new home! I hope Westin & Allie adjust that well!
User Tools
02-07-2019, 04:06 PM
I'm late to this, but also want to congratulate you on your new home and especially the wonderful news of the new baby. Such an exciting time for you! xo Big Grin

[Image: 32162356893_5c3a52e9b7_z.jpg]

CODY (lilac point) D.O.B. 12th Dec 2010
FOSCO & KATY (bluepoint bi-colours) D.O.B. 26th Feb 2014
Mittens (DMH) D.O.B. 26th Sep 2009
Bailey (Mini Doxie) D.O.B. 3rd May 2016
Colleen, South Africa
User Tools
02-14-2019, 03:00 PM
I had been out of town for a couple of weeks without a 'puter so now I am checking on things. How is the transition going? Have you all (two-footed and four-footed) settled in? Has everyone found the appropriate potty area?

"CAT HAIR...Both a condiment and a fashion accessory."
[Image: 3cats-vi.gif]
The FurBrats Three
User Tools
02-16-2019, 07:04 AM
We are scheduled to move March 26-28 so it hasn’t happened yet! March 28 will be the day we move Westin & Allie to the new house. Feeling nervous but we’ll do our best to help them settle in. I’ll report back here how it went, later! xoxo
User Tools