Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some advice please
11-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Some advice please
I need some advice please. I have suffered quite considerable vision loss in the last month due to having had diabetes 52 years my eyes have suffered. I have to wear special dark glasses to help with the spots that zip across my vision to stop the dizziness when trying to move around. Having surgery on the 20th fingers crossed will help.

Meanwhile Zimba has learn't to sneak up and hide under the walker when I go outside little stinker neighbour saw and yelled at me pointing under the walker other day so escape was averted.
Decided will lock him in the bedroom with the enclosure from now on when I need to go outside.

This boy has two speeds full speed ahead or full stop. When ever he goes anywhere he races thru the place thinks its his own race track but he is very quiet about it and all of a sudden appears from now where and I trip as I don't see him. So I was wondering about putting a collar on him with a bell but remember reading something about not putting collars on cats is this correct?. Please any advise on keeping him and me safe I don't want to rehome him but I also can't afford any more falls tripping over him especially as I can't get up by myself so stuck there until someone can come get me up and then I'm terrified they will let him out when they open the door to come in....

[Image: 45513994674_a8cf9fe568.jpg]
Helen. Hamilton, New Zealand
User Tools
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2018, 04:55 PM
RE: Some advice please
Oh boy do I understand your predicament. I fell down the basement stairs three times because of the Late Great Smudge. Instead of a collar, go with a cat harness. Make sure it is for cats, not dogs...very different shape. The bell can be attached as it would be with a collar, but the cat is not in danger of being choked, tangled, etc. I recently had eye surgery for cataracts and they also discovered macular degeneration (dry). Things are better than they were before surgery but not as good as when I was YOUNG...oh well...no fixing that, I guess.
Hope your surgery is successful.

"CAT HAIR...Both a condiment and a fashion accessory."
[Image: 3cats-vi.gif]
The FurBrats Three
User Tools
11-09-2018, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 10:02 PM by JanH.)
I agree. The bell or something is important for both of you. A harness is safer and he will not be on a leash. One "problem" with a leash and harness is our cats would back up, invert the harness and be "free." In your case, you want to use it as a place to attach a "tracking" helper so that method of escaping from the harness is not a factor.

I also agree with confining him when you need to use the doors to the outside. We have had escape artists where that was necessary too.

Best,
JanH
User Tools
11-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Have to rethink the bell my boy is terrified of this jingling thing thought he was going to kill himself trying to get away from it racing thru the place banging into walls poor baby. I have noticed certain sounds really upset him will take him for a vet check and see if the vet can come up with any ideas. Also thought about going to the blind foundation to see if they can come up with something..

[Image: 45513994674_a8cf9fe568.jpg]
Helen. Hamilton, New Zealand
User Tools
11-12-2018, 07:48 AM
If you tried both a new harness and bell at the same time, you may want to start with the harness alone. Also, you can try bells of different tones (not on him, but just nearby). When you find the one less upsetting, then try a slow introduction to it. (Ring it once when he is calm, use it as a sign of food in the dish or treats ... Try to build up his understanding that it is safe - and perhaps even the signal of good things.)

Best,
JanH
User Tools
11-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I understand the worries about tripping and falling over the kitties. I have had 6 procedures for glaucoma, a corneal transplant and currently get injections every 7/8 weeks for macular degeneration.

My Aksel is snow white and has lots of energy. He is a very sweet boy but is constantly underfoot. As always JanH and Smudges Mom give valuable advice. I hope he can somehow adapt to the bell.

Regarding the door problem I reached out to a member of a past Ragdoll forum. Jan, you might remember Laura Sakos. Laura's husband is blind. Both of her cats wear bells but they have been wearing them since they were first brought home.
Laura suggested another device that they keep by the front door. It's called SSSCAT spray system. It's sold through Amazon and is described as a pet deterrent spray that uses infrared and works up to 3 feet.

I hope this can somehow help, and will add prayers for your successful surgery on the 20th.

]
User Tools