Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ragdolls and shelter rescue kittens
05-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Ragdolls and shelter rescue kittens
Hi all. I'm on the wait list for a Ragdoll kitten from a reputable breeder due in the fall. I'd like to also get a kitten from the shelter and raise them up together. Is this a good idea? I had a previous Ragdoll and rescue combo in my household for years, but I had my Raggie as a kitten and didn't get my rescue until he was around 3 years old.(My rescue was a similar age. They got along OK after a period of adjustment)
I'd love to get 2 Ragdoll kittens from my breeder and call it a day, but my husband would really rather do 1 and rescue another. I'm worried about illness from the shelter kitten and the possibility they won't bond. If we do it this way, should I try to time it so we're adopting the shelter kitten at around the same time we are bringing home our new Raggie, or should we wait a few months to allow the Raggie to get used to us and their new home. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
User Tools
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2018, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 09:12 PM by JanH.)
RE: Ragdolls and shelter rescue kittens
In general, Ragdolls like all creatures. You are more likely (but not very likely) to run into bonding issues with the rescue, so try to be careful in selection.

You will need to have the shelter cat tested for leukemia and aids (which is likely to be done by the shelter). You then have a medical quarantine to keep the cats apart for some period of time. The more time, the more medical conditions will show and can be treated before exposure. (The medical risk runs both ways. Each cat may have been exposed to a strain that is "new" to the other and will cause illness. In general, these kinds of illnesses are treatable or covered by the basic shots, which both cats should have.)

Things should be fine after the appropriate slow introductions, which will be paced, once it becomes face to face after the medical quarantine period, based on how each cat is behaving.

In general, all of the combinations work - and you already have experience with multiple cats.

One of the important bonding techniques is to have a newcomer spend each night with a member of the household. If you get them close together, you need to have a strategy for that.

Enjoy the process.

Best,
JanH
User Tools
05-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Because I don't adopt my kittens to homes without another pet I just had this happen with my last litter. I asked that they get the shelter kitten first so it could be fully vetted and known to be healthy. They went and adopted a little Calico girl and wrote to say thank you because they hadn't realized how unhappy they were without a kitty in the house. Their previous cat had recently died. So when they took their Ragdoll boy home at 12 weeks his older but smaller sister was almost 6 months old. I have since gotten pictures of the two that are precious. The "big" sister always has her arms wrapped around her pretty much bigger brother. I've been told there were no problems with adjustments but I also know they were very careful with the selection of their little girl and she was a confident, sweet little baby from the beginning. Here's hoping all goes just as smoothly for you!!

Best wishes,
Edie
http://www.raggymay.com
Burlington, NC
User Tools
05-09-2018, 06:03 AM
Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much more confident that we can do this. I also reached out to my breeder to get her thoughts on how to best implement this plan, but I think we will start checking shelters now so we can bring home the rescue kitty first. Thanks again!
User Tools
05-15-2018, 03:36 AM
I have a ragdoll she is very sweet. She loves to be groomed. And she is very lappy. She does get upset is another of the cats are in my lap and she wants to be there, she doesn't share my lap very well. She will fuss at them and then hiss. With her tiny voice it is very funny. Then if they don't get down she will give me a look and turn flip her tail up and walk away. She will be 8 yrs. old in March. She is a seal point mitted. Her name is Petty Paws Dixie Blaze R.P. Cathouse. As you can see she has a Blaze.
User Tools
05-15-2018, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 07:53 AM by tikismom.)
Welcome to you both. You might want to create your own new thread in introductions so people see it.
Also the following is a link to a tutorial demonstrating how to post pictures here. We love pictures and the seal mitted is my absolute favorite color of Ragdoll.
http://www.ragdollcatguide.com/forum/sho...#pid255102

Please join us at the new forum:
http://ragdollcatguide.ca
User Tools
04-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Welcome.

We call such ranking behavior "showing the paw," since that is all that is usually needed to assert rank among ours. However, do keep the others and protect them while still giving the Ragdoll attention too. We have found that the dominant cat can usually be enticed to share. We have one that found her position near us by keeping an "accepted" cat between her and the one who asserted dominance. Now the latter accepts her too. ; )

Best,
JanH
User Tools