Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New kitten in the house but seems a bit sad
04-21-2018, 03:18 AM
New kitten in the house but seems a bit sad
Hi Guys,
We got a 4,5 months old ragdoll last week from a certified breeder. He’s generally nice when you pet him and play with him, but he’s been meowing and crying a fair bit since he got to our apartment whenever left alone. When he’s not crying/meowing he seems a bit sad sleeping in his space and not wanting to join us on the couch. Is that normal? Is there anything we can do to help him adjust better?
User Tools
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2018, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2018 05:58 AM by JanH.)
RE: New kitten in the house but seems a bit sad
Welcome and congrats.

This is normal newcomer phase behavior.

When he talks when alone, call him. Often they want to know where you are and to feel you want them with you too.

Do pick him up and carry him to be with you. Even if he leaves soon, he is more likely to come back. This is particularly important at bedtime.

Do not be a pest so much as to make him want to be away from you, but induce as much interaction as possible, making sure to look for ways to make it good to him. Use toys and treats and any other bribes that appeal to him. (Often the best treat is his regular kibble hand fed.) Use times he is a bit sleepy. He will more likely accept attention and settle down with you at those times. They seem to "tolerate" being held longer if you are walking while holding them. I guess they are waiting for the ride to end before hopping off.

This is a big change for him and he will look for littermates and mom at first, but soon his social desires will focus on you. You can make that transition move a bit faster and should. Enjoy the process and use it to learn about him.

Best,
JanH
User Tools
04-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Congratulations...this is the bonding phase. He is adjusting from being and feeling safe with mom and siblings to being a member of your pride. JanH is right about walking around with your baby...Raggies love being transported. Even as active kittens they seem sort of lazy compared to breeds such as Siamese and Bombays. Take him to windows and show him things from this new perspective.

Also, 16 years ago, JanH gave me the advice to not let a kitten/cat jump from my arms. When they get restless and want to leave, you PUT them down. Make sure all feet are on the floor before you take your hands away. They quickly learn that you understand that they have had enough and you are willing to listen to their needs. Now all of my cats are willing to be picked up, held or carried. Makes life a lot easier at the vets or groomers.

You will soon have a most loving and cuddly companion. Again, congratulations.

"CAT HAIR...Both a condiment and a fashion accessory."
[Image: 3cats-vi.gif]
The FurBrats Three
User Tools
04-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Thank you both so much for a quick and helpful reply! This makes things clearer and we shall follow your advice Smile))
User Tools
04-21-2018, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2018 11:55 AM by tikismom.)
When I got my Ragdoll he was 5 months old and a bit standoffish. Now he's a really affectionate cat and enjoys to be held. Follow the great advice above and yours will come around too.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
We all love pictures if you're inclined to share. This is a tutorial to show you how many of us post pictures here:
http://www.ragdollcatguide.com/forum/sho...#pid255102

[Image: 36046561955_a3830a238d.jpg]
Owned by Eli the Maine Coon and Tiki the Ragdoll
User Tools
05-05-2018, 03:35 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum and congrats on your new little one, I'm sure your little one will settle in really soon and looking forward to seeing some pics when you have. Smile

[Image: 45411842054_5aa54d09bd_z.jpg]

CODY (lilac point) D.O.B. 12th Dec 2010
FOSCO & KATY (bluepoint bi-colours) D.O.B. 26th Feb 2014
Mittens (DMH) D.O.B. 26th Sep 2009
Bailey (Mini Doxie) D.O.B. 3rd May 2016
Colleen, South Africa
User Tools